Friday, February 23, 2007

Experiment: Weight loss

It seems that so many people seem to fail at losing weight despite all of the expert advice in the fitness industry. Normally, I would prefer to walk outdoors, but I might have discovered a fantastic use for the electronic treadmill.

Today, during my 30 minute run/walk on the treadmill, I burned 188 calories (according to my age and weight). My experiment is-- the next time I go to the gym, I'm going to jump on the treadmill, jog/walk at the same intensity, speed, and time, BUT I'm going to reduce my age and weight to an age and weight that supposedly burns more calories. I plan on doing this either tonight or tomorrow, and I will follow up with my results.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These machines typically use a basic algorithm to figure caloric loss based upon age/weight. Clearly there are more variables to weight loss than age and weight, so caveat emptor. The real problem is they lie, and usually to the upside regarding caloric burn. Better advice: ignore the #'s, eat with discipline and exercise regulary.

SPC was/is? solid entertainment, bring it back.

Superficial Plaza Chick said...

Yes, I realize they use a formula, but my technique is humorously just as, if not more, valid than any other that I have heard.

Thanks for enjoying the SPC blog. I may bring that blog back, depending.

Waldo Oiseau said...

Sooo, which way did you input your age and weight on the treadmill? I would like to burn 1,000 calories in half an hour of walking/jogging. So do I say I'm 102 years old, or 21? :)

Anonymous said...

I got there lots of helpful content and great information. Thanks a lot for your help.
www.just4ubootcamp.com