Friday, June 02, 2006

The lost whole numbers

I've got another Post It to post. This one is a bit more cerebral than the last. What I want to know is, who determined that the world number system would be based using the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10? Yes, it seems to work just fine. I mean, look at all the theories that have been proved in all areas of mathematics and applied to everyday life and art.

But, think of all the NEW theories you could come up with if you started from the beginning and assumed that the current series of numbers between 1 and 10 were actually missing whole numbers (see Post It). You could surely argue exactly how many whole numbers are missing between 1 and 10, but I chose to represent only two new whole numbers for the sake of argument. Please note I wrote "whole numbers" and not "invisible numbers."

The same rules would apply after 10, such as 11, 12, 13, 14 and so on, but would include the two new numbers in every set of 10.

Unfortunately, you can't create these new theories with a current calculator or computer. Perhaps this is where I come in and partner with a scientific calulator company and work with them in developing (revolutioning) the way we view numbers in mathematics.

I will probably add more to this post as I think of things.

1 comment:

Duct Cleaners Chino said...

Thanks foor a great read